15 October 2005

War, Peace and Rattlesnakes

Last night I went with my advisor to Joshua Tree National Park for a lecture he was giving. I had contemplated staying the night out there with Ceri’s parents but he only called me an half hour before we left so I didn’t really have time to warn them I was coming. I recognized it as an opportunity to talk about my research and get out of Loma Linda so I said I would go.

It was good to get to talk to him, sort of encouraging and discouraging at the same time. It was encouraging because it’s good to talk about my project with someone that knows a lot more than me and work things out. But it was kind of discouraging because he didn’t seem optimistic that things were going to work out. We are waiting to here back from some people about acquiring some data. He is worried that we won’t be able to get the data and kept talking about other projects that might be fun. I would just get the data myself but there might not be money for that. I’ve got to get my proposal done.

After the lecture we went to a restaurant in 29 Palms where Drew Berrymore likes to go. The lady, who had invited my advisor to do the lecture, paid for dinner. She was very nice and always smiling, an alumnus of Walla Walla. At the beginning of the night we learned that her husband is in Faluja and I kept telling myself all night, “Don’t say anything.” At the end of dinner we started talking about the war and I was curious so I kept asking questions. I finally let a comment slip about how aggressive Americans are toward peace lovers. She started to get red and defensive. I feel bad. I could tell she is perpetually on the verge of tears. I wish he could come back and stay here with his wife.

Bill’s lecture was entertaining. After his talk he pulled some snakes out to show people. At one point he dropped one and everyone jumped back, some onto their seats. One lady had to move to the other side of the room and hide behind her daughter. It was funny. They are kind of scary. They were all in Rubbermaid containers in the back seat and I would think once in a while about getting into an accident and having rattlesnakes all over the car.

Here is a quote from the car ride home. “Wow. I keep veering left. I never veer left.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can stay with us on a moment's notice. We'd love to have you come out. Anytime!

bryant said...

Thanks Nancy. Maybe another time.

Anonymous said...

snakes in the backseat is my nightmare.