08 August 2005

Washington and New York

Here is most of what I did in Washington and New York.









I measured birds. Without having done any analysis so far. It does look like at least some of the populations will be
diagnosably different. I am concerned about the measurement of the red on the throat but I'll see what happens when I
run the data through some statistics.




I also saw some cool stuffed birds I'll never see anywhere else.





This is the ivory billed woodpecker which I guess there is a chance I might be able to see someday. Now that it is no longer extinct




This one is a passenger pigeon. They used to cover the skies so thick you couldn't see daylight between them. They would move in flocks a mile wide and 300 miles long. It's crazy to think that these birds once made up 40% of all North American birds and we know that the last one died on 1 sept 1914.






New York



New York was more of the same for me. We got in Wednesday night, the 20th of July. Traffic wasn't great in New York City
but it wasn't impossible either.





We managed to find a parking spot on Todd's street
immediately so that was good. Todd is a friend
from the Mill in Lincoln. We used to play chess and sometimes ski together. He was a most excellent host.



After Ceri and I finished in our respective museums we met Todd at his local coffee shop and then headed to "Little India" for some cheap and tasty indian food.






Todd had an awsome apartment with roof access.














Click on it to see the full size.








After the Indian restaurant we helped somebody celebrate leaving for Italy for a year at a bar in Midtown. I'm told it is one of the financial centers and is a huge terrorist magnet so it's one of the only subway stops that gets a police presence.



The next morning we went drove to the place where the twin towers used to stand. It was a pretty big whole. And I took a lot of pictures. So here are some of them.







This one says "Remember, Jesus loves the people you hate."



Jesus called us to renounce violence and befriend our enemies.



Here are a few additional thoughts


Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the sons of God.



You can't hug children with nuclear arms.



Bread not bombs



The strongest insurgency in Iraq is where there is no electricity, water, sewer and trash clean up.


New York City had 2245 murders in 1994 and 590 in 2004. This has been attributed to Guiliani's zero tolerence for petty crimes. They cleaned up graphitti and came down on anti-social behavior.










There are four subway lines running in the bottom of this pit. The pit looked like it was 4 or 5 stories deep.






We were trying to get a picture of us with the Statue of Liberty in the background.












After seeing downtown we had to go back home to Bowling Green so that I could catch my flight from Dayton the next morning.



Here are Ceri and I pretending to be asleep.




This gets me pretty close to caught up for the summer. I have one more week to cover which will include the other sleepless night that I had. I'll get that done this week sometime so keep checking in.

5 comments:

Ellen said...

so, unicorns, are they extinct, or just really rare?

bryant said...

They're still around, somewhere in Africa maybe. I think I remember seeing a unicorn xing sign on National Geographic.

CëRïSë said...

You know... xing isn't a word.

Spinning Girl said...

Wow, I can't believe how TAME those birds are, just sitting so calmly on your hand and even lying quietly on the counter with their feet up, waiting to be picked up. Ha!
Good times, seemingly.
The UConn science building has a giant dead bug room where you can see all kinds of cool specimens, including the Death's Head moth (of Silence of the Lambs fame). I like mammals, myself. And birds of prey. Just sharing.
Cool blog!

Anonymous said...

Blogger, I was searching the web for waterski boat and came across Washington and New York (this post). It wasn't exactly what i was looking for but nonetheless, it is quite interesting.

I also have a cool site about waterski boat, and you can check it out here: waterski boat.

Oh, almost forgot. I found a cool site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Perhaps you or your other visitors may be interested. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

Im going to bookmark this blog and hope to see more great posts like this one.