06 August 2005

Various forms of sleeplessness

Maybe I should title this, "Various dislikes of dorm life" but there was also the sleepless night in the mountains at the beginning of the week. More on that later.


I think there are people reading my blog more frequently now that I have been updating it more frequently. So you probably read the long post with pictures of part of my trip to Ohio. That took me a long time to write, about 3 hours actually. I'll try to finish that trip today sometime.



No time to sleep, sleeplessness


I was up late that night partly because of that and partly because a friend/science cohort/future roommate was back from Honduras and showing me pictures. They are really good pictures too. He had a flight leaving from LAX early Friday morning and I agreed to drive him there. So, I slept almost 4 hours Thursday night. I don't mind that so much except that it cost me about $25 which I don't really have. I didn't feel like turning right around for the 2 hour drive back to Loma Linda so I stopped to get a muffin and coffee and locked my keys in the car. I mentioned that in my "money well spent" post. Thursday night was sleepless because I didn't get much time to sleep.



Annoyance sleeplessness.


Last night was an entirely different kind of sleeplessness than anything I had experienced earlier in the week. There were some people in the apartment when I went to bed at midnight and they were kind of loud but I closed my bedroom door and soon they left. Then, at 3am I was very rudely awakened by, I presume the same people. This time they were very loud. Yelling, playing loud dance music, yelling about dancing or not dancing. Drunk and still drinking. Now, I think alcoholic beverages are a perfectly fine when socializing. But socializing to me means intelligent, provocative conversation in a healthy atmosphere. Or at the very least coherent and happy.

Drunks can be amusing I guess. But I get tired of the stupidness real fast and I need to be able to get away. Vomiting and walking into things is only funny for so long and then I get annoyed and bored. Drunks get frustrated because other people don't understand what they are trying to say, but instead of speaking clearly and reasonably they yell and get mad. I've seen the same tactic used when talking to someone that doesn't speak English. Trying to increase the meaning of their words with volume.


These people were intent on drinking until they passed out. One of the arguments I heard was whether or not they should drive home. I contemplated running out there in my underwear to scare them away but realized my only real option was to roll over and try to get back to sleep. Assholes.


Other complaints I have about the dorm so far include; people using my dishes and leaving them dirty, people eating my precious and expensive food, and people sleeping in my bed while I'm away. So what keeps me here? Location and price. I doubt there is anywhere else in southern California as cheap as this other than my jeep.


Ok I should say something positive about the dorm. The Loma Linda Market is right across the street. School is a block away. All utilities are included - electric, a/c, broadband, telephone. The kitchen has a garbage disposal. There is a balcony that look at the hospital and the hills behind it. If I can deal with the other people I guess it's not so bad.

I'll try to be more positive when I get more sleep.

4 comments:

Ellen said...

in your new profile picture you look like jack, from "will & grace."

Spinning Girl said...

Dorm life sucks. I lived in a dorm while student teaching as a senior (middle schoolers!) and had to be at work by 7 every day; imagine my dismay when Drunk Girl next door decided to tapdance to "annoy the people below her".
Drunk people often act like idiots, and there's little you can do about it--at least not while they are drunk. Unless you want to get into a fist fight.

Leah said...

How dare they touch your corn & mayo sandwiches.

Valerie said...

Dorm life = bad

boooo to the drunkards and their total disregard for clean plates and sleeping in their own beds! boooo to them all!!