02 February 2006

Disfunctional Internet Browsers

The programs you use to browse the internet.

I'm terribly sorry if you couldn't access my blog for the last couple of days. After I was so impressed with the traffic I was getting by not posting I was perplexed by not getting hits after posting so many pictures and starting to share again.

The proximate cause for much of the viewing publics inability to partake in my corner of the web is that I added some special effects to my blog in the form of a Google map. The ultimate cause is that I am a firefox user (which is in my opinion far superior) and I forget about the segment of the population that insists on, or simply persists in, using Internet Explorer (IE). I didn't try to look at my blog with IE so I didn't know it wouldn't work.

It should be fixed now. My recomendation is for everyone to click here and install Firefox to browse the internet. However, if you must, there is at last a new version of IE out in beta which copies much of what is great about firefox. This is similar to how major political parties adopt some of the views of third parties when those third parties start to gain popularity.

I have given IE 7.0 beta a test drive and it is much better than the old version 6.0. They finally added tabbed browsing, a built in search box, and pop-up blocker. These have been in most of the other browsers for a long time. Other things I like about it are; the phishing filter, the zoom and print functions, and the more simple design. But it is still slower than firefox and the within page search is inconvinient. Things that mean very little to me are; RSS feeds and quick tabs (which is super slow).

Overall. IE 7.0 seems to be much better than IE 6.0. But I still think Firefox is better and will continue to use it. I will try to be sensitive to the IE users though.

5 comments:

Daniel said...

I've been using Avant, which I like, but couldn't view your blog with. I'm sure there are things I don't understand which should change my view, but I like it. It has tabs and search stuff like Firefox and also some nice back forth browsing with the mouse.

Ben said...

Rocker gestures? You can get an extension for this for Firefox.

And Bryant, I'm a loyal Firefox user, and I very much enjoyed your map. Never even crossed my mind that it would be causing trouble for IE. (But who spends much time thinking abotu IE, anyway? Certainly not its programmers.) It's sad to see your map gone.

Ellen said...

some of us have to use IE 6.0, we're bound to it at work.

Ben said...

Are you really bound? I'm not supposed to use Firefox at work, and my computer is set up so I can't download or install programs in to the programs folder . . .

So I saved it somewhere else.

bryant said...

I thought I had installed Firefox on that computer. They must have uninstalled it when I left.

I have been using Portable Firefox on the computers I can't install in on at school.

Thanks for noticing the map Ben. I liked it.