18 October 2006

Knoppix saved my life

Hello again. I'm feeling a bit guilty for "lurking" and not commenting on others blogs or writing on my own blog. I've been using Google Reader lately which makes it very easy to see when any of you have updated your blogs. So here is a little update about me.

This last weekend I almost lost two and a half months worth of work on my thesis because I hadn't backed it up in that long. On Thursday I got a virus or something and Windows wouldn't start for me. I was able to use Knoppix to retrieve my files before I formatted my hard drive. I finally got everything back to function on Monday. So it ended up taking about four days to do all that. Lesson learned: back up files. Also, I'm thinking about quiting windows and moving to Ubuntu after I finish school.

Currently, I am waiting to hear back about a job I interviewed for at the Minnesota DNR. I am confident that I could do the work and enjoy it, but there were 7 others, who I didn't meet, but I assume were equally qualified as I am. So I guess I have a 12.5% chance of getting the job. Maybe I should have pleaded. If you are Karen and found my blog during the background check, it's been two weeks and I wouldn't mind if you contacted me to let me know one way or the other.

If I do not get the job I will start making plans to return to Loma Linda to defend my thesis. Hopefully I will also be able to make a little money while I am in California as well.

Thanks to Hanne Beldin, and much to Ceri's dismay, I acquired two Siamese cats which I am to transport to my mother in Portland, OR....somehow. They are very friendly cats and are hardly satisfied until they have your compete attention.










Coming soon:
  1. The conclusion of my trip to New England, pictures and thoughts about Walden Pond.
  2. Thoughts on ethanol/biodiesel, hydrogen and electricity for transportation needs.
  3. Webpages that interest me lately.

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Hmm, the one on your shoulders looks a wee bit feisty

Ellen said...

writing to the person doing your background check is classic.

bryant said...

I think he's just off balance.