19 September 2006

Mississippi Wild

Yeah! They are thinking about letting the Mississippi run wild again. Well sort of, I guess they are only willing to let the bird foot delta portion of the Mississippi return to more like it's natural state. I'm sure it will be much more controlled than it's natural history of channal movement and wetland building. In reality the whole coast of Louisiana needs help but this is still significant news and a step in the right direction. It would save 120 million tons of soil from being wasted from agriculture run-off into the ocean every year (soil which would be better off staying in farmers fields if you want my opinion) as well decrease the size of the "death zone" which is and area of hypoxia off the Louisiana coast essentially a man made problem.

1 comments:

Jeff said...

I just linked this archive to my blog. Good stuff.

Sometime you when you're really bored, you can read my post about "ecology" that turned into a crazy (and nearly pointless) debate. You can put us both in our places.

Peace.