21 April 2007

Mojave Week 3

This week had it's ups and downs. I started Monday morning by being 40 minutes late to work. I still don't remember being told to be at work at 7. The hours were long and the weather variable.

Mojave Desert Week 3 Gallery
The first site we visited on Monday was in Meadow Valley. We were greeted to the site, and throughout the next two days, with slightly terrifying sonic booms made by planes that could vanish in front of your eyes. They stop flying at night, thankfully, and the only sounds are the wind and distant howls of coyotes.


This glutenous and slothful bumble bee was rolling around on his back in an opuntia flower and loving it.


On the way to our second site we saw a new development under construction at Coyote Springs. Although there are no houses built yet the golf course looked to be finished and the deep green of the grass stood out against the beige and tan everything else. They left one natural rock with some yucca on it for the entrance to the development. It was completely surreal and a perversity of nature.

Nevershine is at the end of the road in Parachant NM and is the most remote site we are working at for this project. It gets it's name from the layer of black basaltic rock on the cliff in this picture. I am thankful that I get to see places like this for work since I am not likely to go there on my own.







Here is an example of a quadrat. They are assigned randomly within the plot. Once my GPS shows that I have reached the correct coordinates I set the lower left corner at my toe and direct it towards the north. You might be able to see that all of the plants in the smaller rectangle have been plucked. The plants are identified, separated, and placed into bags labelled native, native seeded, and non-native. My impression is that most of the plants go into the non-native bag. The work is monotonous most of the time but there is excitement when a new plant is found and identified.



The two plants in this picture are both Bromus madritensis. Most of the plants look like the one on the right and are only a couple of hairs. This makes them difficult to see against the ground as well as hard to identify and to pick up. I often use a flat rock as a tool in excavating.


I also find joy in discovering insect constructions and little jewels of eggs; pearl, amber and gold spheres stuck to the undersides of leaves.












I learned last weekend that in addition to our regular pay, which is decent but I have enough debt to feel guilty spending any money at all, we get a per diem of $20 for the "inconvenience" of staying in the field. This news has made me happy all week. As I had been eating for about $35 per week I decided to spend a little more and venture a bit away from canned food. And why not spend that money on good food? On Thursday I made a wonderful meal of prepackaged gnocci and pesto with ciabatta and Vina Salamanca. It was delicious.




Friday had the worst weather with intermittent rain and temperatures around 50 degrees. I was wet and cold and my figures were like blocks. On the weekends I had been staying at Lake Mead and taking showers with my solar shower. This works ok, but the water only gets warm if you leave it in the sun for about 3 hours. This weekend I decided to join the YMCA. The hot shower and sauna are totally worth the $10 per week, and having spent only about half of my per diem on food I am not feeling guilty for this pleasure.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

I can't see the pictures using Firefox, but I like the gluttonous bumble bee, thanks for that image.

bryant said...

Yeah, it was a publishing issue. You looked at it before it was done. They should be there now.

Jeff said...

Your pics are awesome! Did you see that I dedicated another post to you? Peace